Monday, January 10, 2011

You Can't Judge a Character

If you're looking for a review of Arrowsmith, you'll have to wait a couple of more weeks. This book has been a challenge for me. I really like books where I can identify with the main character or I actually care about the main character, I'm not there yet. I feel like this book is a chore, but we'll get into that more when I review it.

What I want to write about this time is one of the characters in the book. His name is Max Gottlieb and he is a professor of bacteriology at the university Martin Arrowsmith (the main character) attends. Martin has a fascination with Dr. Gottlieb, but through a falling out they separate and go their own ways. The author takes a break from Martin and focuses on Dr. Gottlieb. When I first started to read this chapter I was not at all interested. I pictured Dr. Gottlieb as a dark, bitter, angry man and maybe a little bit dirty and smelly. No one likes him, his home life is not the greatest and yet he deserves it in a way because he doesn't try to get people to like him and he is very harsh and just plain mean. As I followed him through some rough stages in his life - loosing his job, loosing his wife (she passed away), taking a job that questioned his ideals - I began to find myself caring for this character. When he did finally get the job he longed for I celebrated and found myself truly happy that he could find some happiness and satisfaction in his life. He has now made a comeback in the book and is still the cranky, stern man, but I don't mind it as much and I was actually glad to have him back in the story. Have any of you met a character like this in a book? If so, which book and who is the character?

2 comments:

  1. I think Inspector Javert is sort of like this in Les Miserable-- he's so intent on administering the strict letter of the law that at first I didn't care for him. But when you learn some of his background, he becomes more admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice kind of like that? Misunderstood, arrogant, but by the end of the book as you've learned more about him and other characters he has interacted with, you really like him. Well, I really like him, I know some people that don't, but anyway...

    ReplyDelete