Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fable Review

This book was a chore to read.  (And yes, I realize there is not a picture of yarn above, that is because this one is rated a big fat zero.) I was determined to read the entire book no matter how difficult it became and I did it.  What was it about?  I really am not sure I can tell you.  Mr. Faulkner and I don’t speak the same language.  Half of the time I was reading something and thought, “What does this have to do with anything?  Why is this happening?”  He tends to go on and on and on and on.  His sentences last half a page and there were a few paragraphs in this book that lasted 5 pages and by the time you finished the paragraph you can’t remember what he was talking about because it just kind of rambled on.


This book was supposed to be a Fable about the life and death of Jesus Christ.  There were moments in reading it that I recognized the characters and who they related to in the Bible, but I’m still not sure what some of the things I read had to do with the story of Christ.  The story takes place during WWII and is mostly in France.  It starts out telling about a troop of soldiers and they were commanded to attack and they mutinied against their leader (I can’t remember if he was a captain or a lieutenant).  Their leader goes to the general and they end up putting the leader under arrest.  After that there are random stories about pilots in Germany and a man who stole a racehorse in Louisiana.  There are some women in the story that represent Mary Magdalene and I could understand the parallel there.  

I could tell you more about the book, but like the book it would be jumbled and disjointed so I’ll spare you.  If you want a challenging book then pick this one up, otherwise I would suggest skipping over this one.

2 comments:

  1. It makes you wonder how it won the Pulitzer. Was it like the emperor's new clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This novel won both the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award and was the novel Faulkner worked on the longest. Many consider it a failure. Many feel his departure from his native setting is a mistake. It is probably a mistake to select this as an introduction to Faulkner. On the other hand, his overall artistry deserves consideration, whatever he writes. Corporal Stephen's defiance of authority is now likened to the anti-war vehemence of Catch 22, and the novel is also intended to be linked to All Quiet on the Western Front.

    ReplyDelete