Thursday, June 23, 2011

Lamb in His Bosom

I have dreams, one of the things that I dream about doing sometimes is living in the middle of nowhere long ago, before modern conveniences and living off the land. Well, that dream is no longer there after reading this book. This book centers around one woman Cean (said see ann) and her life. At the beginning of the book she gets married to a good man named Lonzo and they are heading to their new home, a brand new cabin built in the middle of the Georgia woods. Cean is young (I don't remember if it tells how old she was, but I think she was around 16 or 17), but she is excited about the prospects of her new life coming up. Her husband is good to her and they are quite happy and seem to have everything they need. She is soon pregnant with their first and it spends a lot of time on how she feels being pregnant and then the horrors of delivery. She is not anxious to have another but soon conceives and bears another daughter. After her second child is born she returns to her happy free self until she becomes pregnant with her third which she is not happy about. The story that got me the most happens when her third child, a son, is born. Lonzo is away to the coast where he goes once a year for two weeks to trade their goods from their farm for other things they need. She went into labor early and worked through it for the day with her two daughters running around. It is so hot that the little girls are not wearing any clothes and they have the windows and doors open. As night falls she puts the girls to sleep on her bed (again not wearing any clothes, it's so hot) and around midnight she bears her son. She is so exhausted, for obvious reasons, that she lays on her bed with her newborn son and begins to fall asleep. She remembers that she left the windows open but decided she didn't need to worry because the hound dogs were quiet. Of course, right then the dogs started howling and she realizes that the mountain lions (or painters as she called them) could smell the blood from the delivery of her son and were drawn to her house. She gets out of bed to close the windows and the door, and after she does she turns around only to find a mountain lion in her home standing between her and her newborn baby and two older daughters. She grabs the gun and shoots the mountain lion and then climbs into bed. It made me thankful for hospitals and epidurals and that I don't have to worry about wild animals coming into my house. Also, I've been imagining the scenario and realized that there were probably flies everywhere, so it makes me also grateful for screens on my windows and door.

Times goes on and she ends up bearing around 16 children. The reason I gave this book three stars was because it is so sad. She is surrounded by sorrow and death. Her brother is an adulterer and leaves his wife to go to California and his wife marries his brother. Her parents die and another time Lonzo is gone to the coast she has 14 or so children at this point her house burns down in the middle of the night and she has to take her 14 kids and walk 6 miles to her parent's house to stay until Lonzo could come home and build them a new house.

This book cured me of ever wanting to live in the wilderness. In my mind it sounds so ideal. Surrounded by nature, living off the land, working hard to provide for my family, the only sounds are sounds of nature, etc. But this book brought me back to reality and what it really means, bugs everywhere, wild animals, no air conditioner, no dishwasher or washer and dryer, no lights that come on with the flip of a switch, no running water straight from the faucet , and most importantly no flushing toilets.

There was one thing that struck me about this book. Cean loved her children very much, it showed in how she grieved for those she lost and how she thought about her children, but I don't think she enjoyed them much. At this time her children were there to work for her, her oldest cooked the meals and cared for the younger children, the boys worked out in the field for her husband. She didn't have time, like I do now, to stop and play with her children to tickle them and tease them. I love being with my children, talking to them, laughing at their jokes and just learning who they are. This is another thing I didn't think of. Like I said she was so busy doing her work, cleaning, spinning cotton for clothes, cooking, and caring for the animals that it consumed her time and all those children were a burden to her because they were mostly girls, which meant they couldn't be out in the field helping their father. Another thing that I'm grateful for living in this time is education. She did know how to read, but she had never gone to school and neither do her children. Well, actually they did for a few short weeks until she developed a grudge against the new priest who was running the school (she actually marries him later on) and then she pulled them out to make a point. I'm glad that my children get an education and for the opportunity to see them learn.

This book opened my eyes to reality and how much I do have to be grateful for, so maybe I should give it five stars instead for doing that for me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, just reading your description of the mountain lion incident scared me! The reality of living in the wilderness fascinates me, so I'll have to check this one out.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete