Monday, December 6, 2010

So Big So Far

As I began to read this book, I wasn't sure if I would like it. The author skipped from one character to another so much that I was unsure which character the book was about; it caused me much confusion. As I continued reading I realized that the book is named after a nickname of the main character's son. The nickname came from the game you play with babies: "how big are you? Soooo Big!". The son’s real name is Dirk.

This book has made me reflect on my own life and how blessed I am. It tells the story of a young girl who marries a farmer and what the life of a farm wife in the late 1800s is like. As I read the book lying on my couch, while my two younger kids are having quiet time, I realize that I have no room to complain about the small amount of work required of me. Often I feel too busy to do the simplest task or I complain that my appliance that washes the dishes so I don't have to, doesn't work so well. No more. She describes feelings and emotions so well, it's not too hard to feel the exhaustion as well as the emotions of love that the characters feel.

I love that so far the main character Selina is very head-strong and independent, unlike many of the other farm wives in her community. One week after her husband dies she is at the market selling the vegetables from her farm—the only woman in a “man's world”. Her vision of what the farm could be shows her willingness to think outside the box, where her husband (obviously before his death) doesn't want to change from the way his father farmed the land. As the future plays out her visions prove to be correct and profitable.

Dirk is away at college now. I don't think the author thinks too much of young college coeds. She kind of goes on a rant for about three pages talking how they don't value their college education very much. So we'll see what Dirk becomes in his life, he doesn't know what career path he wants to take, he just knows he wants to be "successful" or rich. So we'll see how it continues, stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good book...thanks for reading it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that make you grateful for the life you have! - Without depressing you either.

    ReplyDelete